Wednesday 14 December 2011

The 6th sense

1 + 1 = 2                 

I tend to think that this sense is a special gift to certain individuals. I do not want to discriminate against any person. Sometimes I think that intelligence is linked to this sense.  I fail to describe this but let me attempt to try again.
Perhaps I should start by stating the name of the sixth sense. It is mostly known as common sense.  Despite its descriptive name it is actually very misleading since it is not as common as most people might want to think it is. Simple things like indicating before changing lanes, or simple logic that would instinctively follow after an action performed.

It is almost like reminding some one to breathe every now and then or else they will die. I do not understand how the human race can be so ignorant at times.  People tend to forget about the basics in life and these basics are potentially the things that could just swing a situation into a positive or negative result. I am sure you know what I am talking about when I am talking about common sense.  The lack of this all important survival skill is even more prevalent as you go up the corporate ladder.

I am absolutely amazed at the incompetence of managers just because they do not have common sense. It is an essential tool in order to breed logic thinking. To me it seems like the percentage favouring individuals engaging their 6th sense is dismal. I fear that it is getting worse, or perhaps Im only starting to realise this because of requiring competent people to work with me in my social life as well as my professional career path.

We have managers, CEO’s, directors, governmental bodies and all kinds of high paying leadership positions that are just utterly and astonishingly missing this basic skill.

It is not something we can teach another person. It is a pity that people that lack the skill, does not even know that it exists. I tend to assume that those people do not even phantom the meaning of common sense. They do stupid things and get surprised when it all goes horribly wrong.

I like to hammer on the driver not indicating because we all can relate to this. If you want to change lanes because you need to catch a turn off, you need to indicate so that people may grant you an opportunity to get in front of them in order to be in that lane. But some people get upset when cars swoosh past them and they miss the turn off, whilst failing to indicate. Now all of a sudden it becomes the fault of all the cars that drove past him. He calls them selfish and idiots, but in essence they were oblivious to the guy’s intention to change lanes.

Life is intimately tied to common sense. We just have to embrace and accept that it is a requirement. I get unbelievably frustrated with people that do not have this. I simply cannot accept that people do dumb things and gets amazed that they are in the situations that they are in, because of the repercussions of doing stupid things.

If i stepped on a few toes, then perhaps just think hard and engage some common sense. It is truly an essential tool for survival and achieving greater heights.

Tongue in cheek I will bid you farewell till the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment