Friday 19 August 2011

Selfishness

"Selfishness is the satisfaction of a short term goal at the expense of a long term reward" - Werner van Tonder
When last did you rate yourself on the selfish meter?
I believe that we all are guilty of this self righteous instinct. It is a easy road to follow, but it does tend to be diminutive towards our future. We ensure that our own goals are met no matter what the cost.
Climbing up the corporate ladder can be treacherous. You step on people to get on top but when you reach the top you become the prey. I do believe that you reap what you sow and when you reach your own goal through means of selfishness, you are bound to be disappointed.
In my life I have been the victim of selfish intents and it even convinced me to become of of them at some time. But it just does not pay. You become ruthless and you seem to lose all compassion. I had superiors looking down at me and becoming my puppet master pulling my strings to enforce their goals. We all have immense potential of changing situations from bad to good.
By being selfish we impoverish the poor and enrich ourselves. Some people are happy with stealing joy and they are contempt to spend other people’s hard earned money. You become hated and envied. Two contradicting statements but yet they go hand in hand.
Think of what you do to help others and where you sacrifice to lift others at your expense. We all are selfish, we all think we deserve better than the next... but do we really deserve it? Never let the selfish gain become your riches.

No comments:

Post a Comment