Monday 7 November 2011

The ugly duckling


If I had to create myself, I would have perfect teeth. I would have a balanced metabolism and have the right muscle definition. From head to toe, I would maliciously sculpt every part. No more faulty tonsils or wisdom teeth. Would you pass up the opportunity to re sculpt yourself if you were presented with an opportunity?
I think that unless you are attractive and stunning, most would jump at the opportunity. Now why do I want to promote having a bad self image? Well truth be told, I am not. It is quite acceptable these days to want to change who you are and how you look simply because you do not conform to what the world perceives as appropriate and normal.
I do not state that you should just let go and become unhygienic and obese. Not at all, I would like to pose a question to you, the reader. Are you happy with the way you look? Are you satisfied with what kind of person you are? If your answers were yes then I am really preaching to the choir. I want to bring my viewpoint across to the crowd sitting in the corner at the back of the hall. Life to me has so many facets that it is inconceivable to be happy in all of them.
I am by no means a mean lean body builder. I am just an average Joe. Now with the latter sentence I would like to mention that I am by the law of averages, average. I had to accept that age does affect your looks and sometimes life experiences does change who you are. We all have a certain piece in ourselves though that is to you like your DNA. We never lose it but we do lose sight of it. It defines your unique traits.
We want to look appealing, it’s natural. But where do we draw the line? My thought on this is that we cannot be appealing to everyone. Who are the most important individuals in your life? Do they love you unconditionally, and if they do not, why are they still that important? We have people in our lives that are like the fat we would love to get rid of. You will find that once you rid yourself of that "fat", that you are halfway to accepting you for you. I am finished with trying to please people at my own expense.
Stand up for yourself. Become acquainted with yourself and embrace your inadequacies. Re discover that piece inside you that makes you who you are. The real essence of why you are they way you were born. We all are pieces of a puzzle and if everyone look the same way, then we will never fit together.
We are who we are and when you decide to accept that, then you can start to live life with confidence. Remember that your flaws are only as big as you allow them to be and most definitely can become your greatest asset.

No comments:

Post a Comment